Tuesday 6 January 2009

WTF

Enough now. I'm so enraged I'm finding it difficult to type. Via the the latest pile of steaming crap, sorry article, from the BBC, we are now being warned of the dangers of third hand smoke.

Now, as always when they are looking for an angle that cannot be attacked lest we be accused of being heartless and borderline criminal, this study was, of course, conducted for 'the children' (in the US on 1500 households; ah, so a teaser study if you will). Allow me to share a few gems if I may:


There is plenty of evidence that "second-hand" smoke - breathed when you are in the same room as someone smoking - can be harmful, particularly to children,...


Hmm...., nope, no definitive evidence, lots of maybe's, could's and might's, but no proof, please take a quick look here and here for just two opinions a quick search brought up should you wish, (although I should warn you I nearly defenestrated my laptop upon reading the second article) and yet, they are now warning us about third hand smoke,

Professor Winickoff said: "The dangers of third-hand smoke are very real - when you smoke - any place - toxic particulate matter from tobacco smoke gets into your hair and clothing."

It gets worse

Professor Andrew Shennan, from Tommy's, said the results had "significant implications", particularly for pregnant women, who may have stopped smoking themselves, but are still in contact with others that do.

"It is vital that women are made aware of the possible risks associated with third hand smoke, and alert those around them of the impact it could potentially have on the health of their unborn baby.


OK then.

So in short, don't smoke, don't allow people around you to smoke, don't venture anywhere where other people may smoke, and should you by accident encounter a smoker, run for the hills, unless of course you want to harm the 'children'. For crying out loud, we really are lepers.

Now I am a smoker, and as such I have a specific point of view on this matter (and choose to live in countries whereby I can do what the fuck I want without undue interference into my life), nevertheless this is beyond ridiculous. On the strength of the 'harm' caused by secondhand smoke, restaurants, pubs and bars, to name but a few, across the world have become smoke free (and many have shut down subsequently), and via this excellent rant over at underdogs bite upwards, in the UK it would seem they are actively trying to eradicate cigarettes altogether.

A quick look around the ASH website scared the bejeezus out of me, and I ran away as quickly as my trusty browser would allow me; the internet truly is a scary place. So if the starting point is the 'children', as I believe it was with second hand smoke (I wasn't paying much attention, I never thought such a ludicrous claim would gain credibility), then where will this lead I wonder?

Third hand smoke? FFS

No comments:

Post a Comment